On Wednesday 30 Jan 2002 21:24, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> I multiboot: Win98, Mandrake 8.1, Mandrake Cooker, Redmond and
> sometimes ELX.
>
> I recently had to reinstall Win98 because of disk corruption following
> a lightning strike.  Since then an old problem has resurfaced:
>
> I mount my Win partitions in fstab like this:
> /dev/hde1  /mnt/win/c vfat \
>            user,exec,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
> Now /mnt/win/c/Program Files and the windows folders show empty.
>
> It happened before - long time ago and I can't remember how I fixed it.
> I've tried fiddling with regedit in a native Win session.  The same
> thing happens in all the distros so I guess it must be something in the
> win setup.
>
> I've just booted into native win98 in DOS mode and removed the system
> flags from Program Files and win, but that hasn't made any difference
> either.  The annoying thing is that samba can see everything (from
> another machine) but I can't very well use smbmount in fstab for a
> partition on the same PC - or can I?
>
> Ideas?

Answering myself - the culprit was Acronis Operating System Selector 5.0.
It's an excellect little program for disk editing, copying, moving and
resizing partitions on the fly.  And that means just about any sort of
partitions, including ext3 and reiserfs.

But as a boot manager it's obviously flawed.  As soon as I disabled it
and put back PowerQuest's Boot Magic I could see everything.  Bug report
on it's way to Acronis.
--
Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.  AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB RAM.
Registered Linux User 219434.  Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin)