> Whenever i start up KDE i allways have to go in
> abd restart the soundserver before i get sound working.
>
> I did tail the .xsession-errors and it says the
> following.

[snip]
> There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are
> active...
>
> Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
>       If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant
>       files:
>
>       /tmp/mcop-mat/Arts_SoundServerV2
>       /tmp/mcop-mat/Arts_SoundServer
>       /tmp/mcop-mat/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
>       /tmp/mcop-mat/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
>       /tmp/mcop-mat/Arts_AudioManager

[snip again]
> This terminates the soundserver
>
> okay
> warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 9 object references alive.
>  - Arts::SampleStorage
>  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
>  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
>  - Arts::Synth_PLAY
>  - Arts::StereoVolumeControl
>  - Arts::StereoEffectStack
>  - Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
>  - Arts::SoundServerV2
>  - Arts::MidiManager
> warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 105 types alive.
> kdeinit: PID 3309 terminated.
> sound server terminated
> kdeinit: PID 3391 terminated.
> kdeinit: PID 3390 terminated.

> This starts the soundserver
>
> okay
> unable to connect to sound server
> kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'artswrapper' from launcher.
> library=artswrapper.la: No file names artswrapper.la found in paths.
> Could not load library! Trying exec....
>
> It seems to me that some library's are not right.
> In my .xsession-errors log it complains about artswrapper,alarmd and
> several others thats not in path. Could this have anything to do with
> it?
>
> /MattB

I get pretty much the same with 8.2b1 that was all OK with 8.1 on a dual
PII-350. On trying again (having manually killed artsd and restarted it),
the next reboot produced the following. I also get an error message box
(sometimes 2) saying that /dev/dsp is busy at startup.

lspcidrake output
-----------------
agpgart         : Intel Corporation|440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
unknown         : Intel Corporation|440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge
unknown         : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 ISA
unknown         : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 IDE
usb-uhci        : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 USB
sonypi          : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 ACPI - Bus Master IDE
Controller
aic7xxx         : Adaptec|AIC-7880U
ne2k-pci        : Realtek|RTL-8029(AS)
bttv            : Brooktree Corporation|Bt878
btaudio         : Brooktree Corporation|Bt878
snd-card-ens1370: Ensoniq|ES1370 [AudioPCI]
Card:RIVA TNT   : nVidia Corporation|Riva TNT 128
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []

tail .xsession-errors
---------------------

There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...

Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
       If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:

       /tmp/mcop-g8ecj/Arts_SoundServerV2
       /tmp/mcop-g8ecj/Arts_SoundServer
       /tmp/mcop-g8ecj/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
       /tmp/mcop-g8ecj/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
       /tmp/mcop-g8ecj/Arts_AudioManager

There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...
kdeinit: PID 2268 terminated.
[snip]
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 9 object references alive.
  - Arts::SampleStorage
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_PLAY
  - Arts::StereoVolumeControl
  - Arts::StereoEffectStack
  - Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
  - Arts::SoundServerV2
  - Arts::MidiManager
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 69 types alive.
kdeinit: PID 2269 terminated.
kdeinit: Got EXT_EXEC 'soundwrapper' from launcher.
library=soundwrapper.la: No file names soundwrapper.la found in paths.
Could not load library! Trying exec....

--
Robin

Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://gb7ipd.dnsalias.net/
Anorak mode = Shack: (+44) 1628 533311  Fax:  (+44) 8700 516573
Club pages (g4xyw modem etc) at http://www.tvipug.org