Thanks for that. The problem I have with running crons in the early hours is
that my system is not up 247. However I am interested in msec. I had been
concentrating on rpm and rpmv since I could see why it would want to run
grep, sed and sort. I could also understand the length of time required to
plough through the complete RPM database and I could see that cron.daily/rpm
was calling sort. However, I had not realised that msec also does RPM DB
checks and rebuilds. How long have the RPM DB checks and rebuilds been in
security.sh ?? (Forever, I know :-)  ). Perhaps setting RPM_CHECK to "no"
will make the system a bit more usable  :-)

However, there is surely an issue with running cron jobs that cause such a
user impact, without either setting them at a very low priority or giving the
user the option to run them in some other manner. I well remember a large
group of people all laughing at the Power Point presentation that was brought
to a halt because Window$ had decided to run its equivilant of slocate !
Perhaps having cron.daily/rpm and cron.daily/msec both hammering the RPM DB
is not such a good idea ?

Any way, mystery over ! Thanks for that.
Owen