If you are working on boot logo related stuff you
may want to check out the work we are doing at
http://www.arnor.net/linuxlogo

It's a kernel patch that adds the following features:

- builds a ppm image into the kernel at compile time for
  the boot logo.  Save any picture you like from the GIMP
  into <linux>/arch/$(YOURARCH)/linux_logo.ppm.
  Then compile, that image will be your bootlogo.

- Set the default cursor blink rate for the framebuffer,
  can turn off blinking cursor or make cursor invisible,
  plus option to adjust blink rate through a /proc file.

Before the end of the week, I'll finish my development
version which adds:

- Options to completely remove the boot logo, center it
  horizontally or vertically, and use just one boot logo
  on SMP machines.

- Big cleanup of the boot logo related code in fbcon.c

As soon as I get this patch complete, I will be submitting
it to the fbcon mailing list.  We hope to get it into
2.5.x kernels, and maybe into 2.4 as well if people like it.

My co-developers are David Odin and Kyntola Tommi.

Torrey Hoffman

[EMAIL PROTECTED]