I have no problem trying these things out - but the real question is
that in previous Cookers and in 8.1 final the notebook sound ran fine.

I do a fresh install (excepting /home) everything is wiped clean and I
rely on the install scripts.  Aparently something has dramatically
changed recently in the DrakX install routines to properly setup this
sound chipset from the install.

By the way, I recently tried Suse 7.3 FTP install on this same machine
and it worked without issue (well - to be honest, after the initial
install there was no sound but when I went to the Yast2 tool and
reconfigured sound - it found it and worked beautifully afterwards)-
something I can't do with DrakConf.

The point is - this would not be acceptable for newbie users after a
fresh install with so much investigative work to find a sound problem.

Most people don't card whether it's OSS or Alsa or OSD - as long as the
sound works!

Cheers,
R.Fox