All it says is :
Socket 0:
  5V 16-bit PC Card
  function 0: [ready]    <-- Shouldn't that be "function 0: [busy]" ???
Socket 1:
  no card

and cardctl ident gives :
Socket 0:
  product info: "PC CARD MANUFACTURER", "PCMCIA ATA/ATAPI Adapter", "Version
3.00"
  manfid: 0xffff, 0x0003
  function: 4 (fixed disk)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

So it knows what it is, just not what to do with it !

Thanks,
Owen