Hi.

I am sorry, but after a fresh install, I still have some troubles with
devfsd (let's say that they disappear with devfs=nomount).

Mainly, my ide cdwriter is not usable, X doesn't starts straight and
mkinitrd fails.

I reboot the system after removing everything in /lib/dev-state.

$ grep scsi /etc/modules.conf
probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/hdb5 devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi vga=794

$ dmesg
ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
hdd: SONY CD-RW CRX175E2, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX175E2   Rev: S002
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The box actually says CRX175A2 and it is not sold as a DVD reader. I
haven't tried however.

$ ll /dev/cdr*
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 Feb 13 11:11 /dev/cdrom ->
cdroms/cdrom0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 Feb 13 11:11 /dev/cdrom0 ->
cdroms/cdrom0

/dev/cdroms:
total 0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 Dec 31  1969 cdrom0 ->
../ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

$ ll /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/
total 0

$ /sbin/lsmod
<...>
ide-scsi                8032   0
scsi_mod               92552   1 [ide-scsi]

The cdwriter just disappeared.

Now X:

I have the two nvidia magic lines in /etc/modules.conf:
$ grep nv /etc/modules.conf
alias /dev/nvidia NVdriver
alias /dev/nvidia* /dev/nvidia

But when I use startx, it fails to start the first time. The NVdriver is
loaded but no agpgart. Use startx a second time, X starts and lsmod
shows the agpgart module.

So, trying to play with /etc/modules.conf, I also tried to make a new
initrd.img:

# mkinitrd -f initrd-2.4.17-16mdk.img 2.4.17-16mdk
mke2fs 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#
Can't get a loopback device

Once again, this is a fresh install from two days ago.

# rpm -q devfsd
devfsd-1.3.23-6mdk

I am at lost. I don't see any problem if I boot with devfs=nomount. I am
surely missing something obvious, but i cannot find what.

=-=
kk1