Well I finally gave up on via-rhine drivers working again (unresolved
symbols), even though I reported them here 2 times.  This was a D-Link
(DFE-530TX) network card for my DSL connection, and ran on via-rhine
drivers.  None of the latest kernels would get fixed.  I had to keep
going back to 2.4.13-12 to get the good drivers. :(  Kudzu even found
that D-Link card when it was installed and configured it (and it is now
unconfigured by Kudzu), and the latest card I just purchased also (which
Kudzu beautifully configured), which was fondly enough, advertised as
*Linux compatible*.  This allowed eth0 to load immediately at system
startup, with no other intervention.

I just hope that the via-rhine situation gets resolved before release
for the next person that needs them.

-Bill