randy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  First machine is a Compaq Presario laptop. The initial boot failed, the

Initial boot == installation boot  or  first "reboot" after
install?

> machine locked up at the USB probe. It also did the same on 8.1, 8.0, and
> RH7.2. I realize this is a kernel level problem, but is there any way to
> disable the USB probe via startup option? Making a custom install disk with
> USB removed is a bit beyond John Q. Newbie, I would think

Can you boot the install with "noauto" option, go to console #2,
issue "lspci" and send us the contents? In particular, if it
reports the "usb-uhci" module, can you try to manually modprobe
"uhci" instead and tell if it doesn't lock anymore? If this fixes
your problem, we'll still need the full contents of "report.bug",
to fix the problem in the pci database.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/