On 21 Feb 2002, Fabrice FACORAT wrote:

> > It might make more sense to create some add-on packages that provide the
> > selection of which XFree86 server and kernel modules are used.
>
> so 2 kernel et 2 XFree server just for this drivers ?

No, have a simple package with the radeon kernel module and the ati.2
XFree86 driver. The sources are seperately available.

> To my mind you'd better critize incoherence in linux development.
> There's not enough coherence. For example : why does gatos drivers is
> still not merged with XFree and dri official drivers ? on top of that
> why don't they in official XFree team and DRI team ? etc ...
> On top of that because of DRI we have to sync kernel code with XFree
> code ! It seems to be the price for Direct rendering and better
> performance but ...
> Maybe UTAH-GLX project resurection will provide a better alternative (
> acceptable 3D perf with no need to be sync with kernel code ).

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that the kernel development on
this is great either. But if somebody likes to work with the "official"
kernels and hack at them, these changes in Mandrake are a bit of a pain,
not a major one, but still.

Anyways, it's a thought and/or suggestion. Obviously, now, the Linus
kernel in the distribution is not as useful to an ATI card owner (I have
a Radeon, but no TV).

Regards,
John