On πΞΔ, 2002-02-18 at 00:52, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > - still devfs documentation tells us we should not use devpts with
> > devfs; and I am not sure who wins. pty.c registers /dev/pts/? with
> > current owner and 600 permissions; and here I have
> >
> >  {pts/1}% ll /dev/pts
> > ΠΈΡ'ΠΎΠ³ΠΎ 0
> > crw--w----    1 bor      bor      136,   0 ΠΗЁЁ 16 16:11 0
> > crw-------    1 bor      bor      136,   1 ΠΗЁЁ 16 17:05 1
> > crw-------    1 bor      bor      136,   2 ΠΗЁЁ 16 17:03 2
> > crw-------    1 bor      bor      136,   3 ΠΗЁЁ 16 17:04 3
> >
> > that looks like pts/0 got permissions from devpts and others from devfs
> > because default mount for devpts here is 640
>
> I doubt that. More likely some programme changed the permissions for
> pts/0 (perhaps xconsole or th Gnome equivalent?).

I booted without mounted devpts and all of them have the same
permissions:

{pts/2}% LANGUAGE=en LC_TIME=en ll /dev/pts
total 0
crw-------    1 bor      bor      136,   0 Jan  1  1970 0
crw-------    1 bor      bor      136,   1 Feb 18 22:51 1
crw-------    1 bor      bor      136,   2 Feb 18 22:55 2

may be there are different ways to open pty and they take different
paths.

But this imply that we really should not use devpts due to possiblilty
of permissions not being applied.