le dim 24-02-2002 à 11:25, [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
> Ok, everyone missed my point regarding static RPM's...it's the CHOICE
> that matters.  I didn't say to eliminate dynamically linked RPM's, just
> add the static ones, so people have a choice.  Plus, as I stated, on a
> minimal install, maybe keep those RPM's statically linked and the
> optional RPM's statically available.  And who cares about the extra
> release size.  If clients don't want it, they won't buy it, or download
> it but who knows how popular this idea would be because no one has tried
> it.  Linux has always been about choice.

And Linux it's also : if you are not happy : do it yourself

> If a techie wants a lean mean
> Linux Machine he isn't likely to be running Mandrake anyway as he/she
> would have a preference for the command line and would usually care less
> about all the GUI intensive stuff that Mandrake includes, because, as I
> said, it's target market is mainly the desktop.

ok I've got a Athlon 800 with 256Mo RAM. What I want is that mdk and all
bells and whistles can run on 600Mhz and 128Mo RAm. Why ? because
win98SE can do it very well !
Do you remember nautilus ? do you remember when it was more than
slooooowwww ? If people didn't think about optimise things ...
please, on desktop where most people don't care about philosophy and
don't pay win most of the time, win Me/2k/XP or MacOS are better suit
for them. But they have to always increase their computer, something
that sometimes they don't want to do.
I was at the FNAC this week and a commercial was testing the new ibook.
And i see how simple it was to export a film to DVI and all the
multimedia capatibilities.
the pb of linux is not dependencies ( use urpmi/apt-get, use distro CD
or official upgrade mirror ) but application ! No DVD player and DivX
player with a nice GUI, not enough games, no good multimedia apps ( Tv
recording and sound editor ).
distro should not provide static packges as you don't have pb with rpm
of the distro if you use distro tools. where you have pbs with
dependacies it's when you fetch packages outside of the one include in
the distro. so the developper of the project should provide dynamic and
static package !

> I see everyone's point and it is well taken but answer yes or no, would
> releasing statically linked versions of RPM's speed the uptake of Linux
> on the desktop.  I think if you all are honest, the answer is a
> resounding yes.

no. I provide a distro without what i need to read Word doc, watch
movies and DVD and listen, browse. EVEN IF EVERYTHING IS STATIC this
will not be something usable as a desktop distro

--
http://linux-wizard.tuxfamily.org/index.html
-