le dim 24-02-2002 à 16:04, Bryan Paxton a écrit :
>  I've been looking at all the threads regarding draksec, and msec, and
> so forth... All these questions are old, and the answers were answered
> before...

indeed. msec need more documentation, a GUI or at least a config tool (
like InteractiveBastille ).

>  A bit dusty, yet still doormant, in cooker cvs is a project that was
> designed to replace msec. BUS, which stands for Bastille Unix Security
> was an idea put in action via Yoann Vandoorselaere, Jay Beale (Bastille
> Linux), and myself.
>  The backend is simply beautiful IMHO. Let me shortly explain (as best I
> can).
> The core of BUS is written in C,

sweet

> perl modules can be used for routines,

sweet
no need to install python. 1 package less

> and the configuration is done in xml.

future.
just a joke : use openoffice format so that you can edit it in
openoffice with color ...
it's a joke. everything tend to be in xml nowadays ...

> This makes up the backend. There are two main configuration files,
> actions.xml and secdb.xml.
> A look at secdb/pam.xml:
> /* SNIP */
> <variable name="pam_filesize">
> <question>Would you like to set a maximum file size a user is allowed
> via PAM ?
>
> If so what shall be the maximum file size(default it 40000 ==
> 40MB)?</question>
>
> <answer default="1" level="4,5">40000</answer>
> <answer type="number">Maxium File Size</answer>
> <answer level="0,1,2,3">no</answer>
> </variable>
> / * SNIP * /

this remind me some of the config file of Bastille

> (See the README for more info)
>
> Here's a screenshot of what a custom session looks like.
> This is a gtk+ frontend (pre-alpha beautifully written by  Renaud
> Chaillat).

fine so can be easily integrate with mdk tools

> (ncurses frontend, as well as the basic CLI frontend (done) were in
> place)

nice for servers config ( no need of a GUI )

>  Now of course, BUS, was being worked on not only to replace msec, but
> Bastille Linux as well, and not only for Linux, but Solaris, HP-UX, and
> so on...

concerning the replacement of Bastille what are its features concerning
firewalling ?

> BUS has rollbacks

really good

> One particular thing that I always pointed out about BUS was that you
> didn't have to hack to your system, it learned your system on it's own
> (this is due to a lot of great code by Yoann, e.g., xml function check).

great! there's not enough config tools that use the variables of your
system

--
http://linux-wizard.tuxfamily.org/index.html
-