Hey guys I REALLY need some assistance with this one

kernels 2.4.17-20mdk-1-1,  kernel-enterprise-2.417-21mdk & kernel
2.4.17-21mdk-1-1..

The original culprit was "make xconfig", it did'nt make the config file, just
said it did.
 both the generic 2.4.17 kernel and kernel 2.4.17-20 compiled and even the
modules built and loaded., when "make menuconfig " bwas used.

the current kernel is 2.4.17-2, and is stable

running my compile of 2.4.17-20 mdk completly killed X , put the monitor in
to standby mode, locked out the keyboard, killed the ps2 mouse driver, and
somehow effected the bios " gave error message slave ide fail"
PC powered down rebooted on 2.4.17-2mdk-1-1, X failed to start and XFdrake
produced errors and no config tests worked.....considered this was my fault
due to inexperiance.

Complete reinstall 8.1 , downloaded kernel 2.4.17-20mdk-1-1, installed with
later versions of iptables 1.2.4-2mdk,
mkinitrd-3.1.6-27mdk,findutils-4.1.7-3mdk
ran with kernel 2.4.17-20mdk-1-1, OK into the consol, started X...and got
exactly the same effect as the kernel I built, this time it did'nt cause the
"slave ide fail "on reboot.

Another fresh install of 8.1 as before but this time with
kernel-2.4.17-21mdk-1-1, as before ,now getting very frustrated !

another virgin install of 8.1 this time ran 2.4.17-2mdk,  no problems, I also
use d EXT3 to help recover from bad shutdowns.
so loaded in kernel-enterprise-2.4.17-21mdk-1-1, this time very similar
crashed X and killed the ps2 mouse driver, but this time I could rerun with
2.4.17-2mdk,,,but only KDE remains Gnome desktop has departed !
There is no indication in syslog of whats causing this, on all occasions I
've also tried remote access, but in each case the machine was completly hung.

system details AMD duron 700MHz 512MB ram  ,ATI Radeon VE 64Mb, hansol 710a
mon.

I have tried 2.4.17-10mdk, but this caused problems with iptables.

/var/log/kernel/warnings show these kernels listed as mandrake 8.2, are they
backward compatable with 8.1 ????,
If I could find a mirror that will give a download speed on > 40k/sec, I'll
try 8.2 beta3,,but has anyone got 8.2 beta3 running with an ATI Radeon card
installed

If there is no backward compatability 8,2 will go down like a lead ballon

please will someone take this seriously

TIA Richard