Tibor Pittich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> First: sorry for my poor english, but i believe that this information is
> useful.
>
> i installed mdk 8.2b3 and synced to curerrent cooker, but msec-0.19-3mdk ....
> :-( i used security level 4
>
> 1. chage problem: i have set how long the passwords are valid in file
> /etc/login.defs. after msec script finished running, some accounts have
> different PASS_MAX_DAYS parameter in /etc/shadow. because was this
> misconfiguration, some accounts is still valid, but password is no longer
> used, because PASS_MAX_DAYS.. while msec was running i saw processes
> "chage -M 60 $LOGIN", which is called from libmsec.py. i'v tried looking
> at /usr/share/msec/libmsec.py, where is exactly these steps, but i don't
> know what magic used for calculate this..
> p.s.: i can't disable this feature, maybe usefull for others too ..

To disbale password aging, use the following in
/etc/security/msec/level.local:

from mseclib import *

password_aging(99999)

> 2. msec doesn't parse UID_MIN from /etc/login.defs. at line 550 in
> /usr/share/libmsec.py this is declared statically, uid_min = 500..

That's wrong the line 550 is the defqult value if nothing is found by
parsing the file line 555...

> 3. tcsh permission problem: i see, you are applied workarround, which is
> needed for tcsh against "hash" feature, which is presented in
> /etc/csh.login: "if (! -r /usr/bin) then unhash endif". it still doesn't
> fix the bug. i must manually change permissions for directory
> /bin and /usr/bin to 755 (in /usr/share/msec/perm.4 off course) because login
> process (if tcsh is login shell) can't done properly.. (some command not found
> errors for progs which was in these directories)

Pixel can you check that ?

> 4. I don't want to run msec in cron.hourly, but msec is installing itself
> automagically into /etc/cron.hourly/. Is there a way how to configure
> (turnoff) msec cron.hourly job?

either remove msec or add the following to
/etc/security/msec/level.local:

enable_msec_cron(0)

> 5. i don't know if this is only my local problem, but my system missing
> symlink in /etc/security/security.conf which he should aim to
> /var/lib/msec/security.conf. cron (promisc_check.sh) is reporting an error
> that this file is missing every hour..

corrected in cooker (no need for a symlink).

--
Fred - May the source be with you