As far as I know GATOS drivers got synced with DRI recently.
Then the DRI HEAD branch got sync with DRI Mesa-4.0 branch.
Now I read in XFree86 Changelog that DRI (now Mesa-4.x based) got merged
into official CVS XFree86,

So it may as well be that you will see the merge of DRM into official
kernel very soon.

There was also some discussion about the DRM versioning / GATOS DRM
versioning, I don't remember the result, but it is being worked on a
clean solution for oficial kernel submission.

For more info, have a look at GATOS-devel or DRI-devel mailing lists
archives.

Michal