Odd - I ended up getting it to work after another
day of experimentation, and the only way it would
work was by putting putting the php statemets in an
if block testing for <mod_php.c> - if I take that out,
it doesn't.  I've never seen that requirement in any
of the documentation I've run across.

It could also be the order; these directives were
in my Vhosts.conf file, which by dist-default were
included earlier in the conf files than they are
now.

Thanks,
Curt