Hi all , well after all the probs with 8.1 and late kernels, I nstalled
8.2 b3

only two interconnected problems, when asked if I wanted to upgrade to
later packages after the NIC's had been setup
I said Yes, and 2 things happpened
1 after alot of data movement on the cable modem, it sat and did
nothing,
I left this for about 1 hr then cancelled as nothing appeared to be
happening.
It then asked for CDROM 1, but the cdrom draw stayed and would'nt open,
after another half hr , I gave in and reloaded the lot again.

I think these are known probs already, now running 2.4.18-2mdk
Even at this stage, its a cleaner install than 8.1

TIA br
Richard