Todd Lyons ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Han wrote on Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:00:15PM +0100 :
> >
> > 30 seconds? A ping in advance to test is the server is up would hurt
> > at all. I mean I know all the tricks with failing programms but
> > every nono
>
> Hmmm, I'd say a ping response is a positive sign, but don't make it
> solely rely on it

The essence of the problem is that sometimes hosts are down and it is
possible to deteect that.

> because many places block ping (stupid, they aren't intelligent enough
> to allow the useful parts of ICMP, they just block it all).  I've come
> across a few brain-dead ISP's and many brain-dead IT departments who
> do just that.

Any other, better solution is wellcome of course.

rpmdrake/urpmi has got nice basics but also so details to fix. Such is
the way of things. But who am I? I don't even come with suggested
patches.

Groetjes, Han.
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software