David Barker wrote:

>On the whole, beta 3's been great (it's my desktop production machine)
>
>Other than the already talked about dcop stuff, the only other things I've
>noticed are a lack of philips webcam drivers (they were in 2.4.8, they're
>still in the latest kernel releases, just not in the mdk kernel :/)
>
>Also, I've had problems  installing on a tyan tiger mp box - it turns out
>that dma support with the amd760mp chipset is a bit broken, and ide=nodma
>needs passing in to get it going with my dvd/cdrw drive - I've read a couple
>of people talk about this in the mdk forums with  exactly the same symptoms
>but no-ones posted the solution - maybe it wants to go in a readme, errata or
>in the supported hardware page?

I also have a twin 1.2GHz Athlon MP machine with the Tyan Tiger
motherboard. I haven't quite got around to updating my server, but it is
running Mandrake 8.0 with a 2.4.17 kernel patched to "patch-2.4.18-pre9"
(which is close to what Mandrake 8.2 beta 3 is using).

I don't have any DMA problems, it's all (stonkingly) fast and stable. I
did however configure the kernel build options myself, and I specified
both the VIA82CXXX and AMD Viper support in the "IDE,ATA and ATAPI Block
Devices" section.

Maybe you just need to build a new kernel, although I do agree it's a
pain if you can't get the thing lo load in the first place! I loaded my
system while I was still using 2 PIIIs.

>(to quote a post to http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1346&lang=en)
>
>"I could never get the installer to run. It keeps seg faulting on a signal 11
>(Tyan Tiger MP, dual Athlon 1.2s, Matrox G550, Mandrake 8.1 download
>version). The kernel boots fine I get to the graphical prompt, try any
>combination of options Itest install, linux, just hit return, whatever, just
>seg faults as it tries to start up. Same problem with Mandrake 8.0, Redhat
>7.1, but Redhat 7.2 works fine and I'm runnign that. Unfortunately, I want
>Mandrake. Still waiting for delivery of the real 8.1 CDs and will try them."

I have toyed with a few 2.4 kernel revisions and I wouldn't install
anything that uses a kernel prior to 2.4.9 (much fun with VIA bridge
problems). Good luck,

Ed-T.