the mini_commander_applet once added to the toolbar displays as white
text on white background.

Steps to reproduce this error (I'm sure there are other ways, this is
just how my setup is)  - this is being run as a standard user - no root
priv's.

1. Convert the panel to type "floating"
2. Change tasklist properties to task width & height to "dynamic"
3. run 'mini_commander_applet' to add the applet.
4. view results

simple working fix.

According to the mini-commander config, the default should be black
background with white text.
If you change the background and text to both black in the config you
will end up with black text on white background.   (NOTE: you can
reproduce this within VMWare sessions as well).

Joseph