Just got my 8.2 beta 4 CDs burnt and fired up my Fujitsu Lifebook
P-2040. I get the same result booting the default installer kernel and
the alt2 (2.2.19) kernel from the second disk which is a hang like so:

[...etc...]
ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0f.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
ALI15X3: chipset revision 195
ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

That's it, it hangs dead at this point where it would normally probe the
ide devices. The alt1 kernel which uses generic, non-dma PCI_IDE does
boot but does not support kernel pcmcia or any filesystem but ext2. :(
Kernel options pci=biosirq and ide=nodma do nothing to prevent this
lockup.

Is there any way we can get this driver (ali15x3.c) out of the installer
kernel at least? I'm not aware of anything in the installation
process that relies on it (the alt1 kernel doesn't have it, and it
works just fine). Generic PCI IDE works, it's just the ali-specific
driver that is locking it up.

-Isaac