On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Raul Dias wrote:

> >the linker will
> >match them together ? This sounds me a bug in the dynamic linker ?
>
> Not in the linker itself, the reason was that the main package and the
> library were compiled with different (and c++ ABI incompatible) GCCs.

1) Could you please name me such a package in Mandrake Linux 8.2?

2) You can't have a main package was built with another library with
incompatible ABI at least for gcc2 <-> gcc3 interop since the linker would
have cried when linking that said package, so you won't get that package.

You can however have program X built with library L1, both with gcc2.
Then, you can have L2, same than L1 but built with gcc3. Say both L1 and
L2 have the same soname. It's clear that if you try to run X with L2 you
are likely to run into a relocation error. That's normal.

The user knows which of L1 or L2 program X was built so he will have
installed the right library.

Bye,
Gwenole.