So, I played around with out libstdc++/core dumping problem.
The flag that really seems to break libstdc++ is -malign-double.
I didn't get too analytical with my tests, but I'm pretty sure that's
the one...
So, I compiled gcc with the following (spec file snip)
<SNIP>
 CC="$CC" CFLAGS="$OPT_FLAGS" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -funroll-loops -ffast-math
-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer
-fno-strength-reduce"
XCFLAGS="$OPT_FLAGS" \
        TCFLAGS="$OPT_FLAGS" \
        ../configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --mandir=%{_mandir}
--infodir=%{_infodir} --datadir=%{gcc_datadir} \
        --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-haifa
--disable-checking $ENABLE_LIBSTDCXX_V3 \
        --enable-languages="$LANGUAGES" \
</SNIP>

In other words, explicitly assigns the values for CXXFLAGS so libstdc++
will compile fine/run fine and/or applications that use libstdc++ will
run ok on their own.

Keep in mind, I'm simply posting this for those who wish to optimize
gcc, and for those curious as to what broke libstdc++ (causing the core
dumps). The default flags bundled in your rpmrc and macros files in the
mdk rpm package are perfectly fine : )

(also keep in mind this is an SMP machine)

Anyway, that's taken care of... Now time to figure out why I localedef
core dumps when compiling locales : )

--
Bryan Paxton
Public PGP key: http://www.deadhorse.net/bpaxton.gpg

"Heedfulness: the path to the Deathless.
Heedlessness: the path to death.
The heedful do not die.
The heedless are as if already dead." -- Dhp. 21-24