I would like to suggest the following fixes to Linux-Mandrake8.2 based on a
test of RC1:

1. In a hard disk install, hd.img needs to be able to handle multiple iso's
or if it can already, the path entry window must explain how the user is to
specify multiple iso's.  As is, specifying the path to CD1 gets the
installation started, but once it needs packages from CD2, etc., it reports
errors.  The workaround is to put all of the packages into a single directory
and give up using the iso's directly.

2. The installation default for /root/.vimrc needs to have "set
background=dark" added at about line 3 so that the color highlighting of
files looks ok when viewed in Konsole in the KDE desktop.  This is not a
problem when using a ctl-alt-<n> terminal, only when using Konsole. Putting
"set desktop=dark" makes it work in both.  I also add "set number" at the
same time, but that is a matter of taste and others may not want it to
default to line numbers.

3. Related to the above item, after /root/.vimrc is fixed, I do
    # cp /root/.vimrc /home/me/
    # chown me.me /home/me/.vimrc
so that vim works properly in Konsole for ordinary user "me". Shouldn't the
installation process put .vimrc into /etc/skel so that this is handled by
default?

4. I could not find files like dhcp-server, etc., in the tree view of the
Software Manager even though they were in the corresponding flat view and
even though the search tool could find them when using the tree view.

5. This is a matter of taste, but unless there is a problem with some
hardware, I would like to see Mandrake make the default prompt specified in
line 23 of /etc/bashrc be more like the following:
instead of the default.  The important point here is making the prompt green
and the commands intense white.  Whether "\w" or something "\u@h \W" is more
a matter of taste, but using non-intense white is not good.

It would be slick to have a tool in Mandrake Control Center which would allow
the custom setting of the command line prompt colors, etc.  New users may
take a while to learn how to custom their prompt and forget things like \[
and \] that are needed to keep the line character count correct.

Craig Van Degrift