Greetings,

As I've been researching this all week, I'm getting very frustrated.    I
never knew there was a 2GB limit for a file.   Let me first explain my
situation, before everyone thinks I'm insane for having an 2GB file.

My company does video on demand, and we stream videos from our servers, to
desktop pc's.   We were using an windows computer at first to stream these
videos, and we are trying to convert it to Linux, to save on license costs,
and what not, and we all know, Linux runs way better then Windows anyways ;)
Anyways -- My problem is, I'm trying to grab these movies off of the windows
server and these files are about 3 gig each, and since Linux has a limit of
2GB, I am unable to get them.

So, I searched around the net, and found out the 2.4.x kernel supports
larger then an 2GB limit, and I got VERY excited, I installed Mandrake 8.1
with the new kernel, and I ran a 'dd' to see if would allow me to make an
3GB file, and of course it did!  My next objective was to ftp to the windows
box and now grab that 3GB movie file, that I've been working on all week.

Unfortunally, it stopped at 2GB and told me 'file size limit exceeded'   So,
now I'm way confused.  I can create an 3GB file with dd, but I am unable to
download a 3GB file.  Is this something fixed in the new version of Mandrake
8.2?  I have tried Redhat 7.2, Slackware 8.1, and a few others, all of them
have the same problem.

Any suggestions would be so helpful!

Thanks.

Tyler R. Hall