Hi!

I joined the beta testing for Mandrake because I like the distro,
but chose to run RedHat 7.2 instead of Mandrake 8.1 as the latter
had too many things not working for me. I hoped that if I joined
the testing I could contribute to a much more stable and error free
distro. I think that was achieved to some degree, but there are still
a number of problems as released in 8.2 that I do not have with
RH 7.2 .

I think the quality of the distro itself is very important.
We can have all kinds of nifty upgrades, but ordinary people
do not download them, and stick to the initial releases as they
come on the distro CDs.

Have MandrakeSoft any ideas of how well used the upgrading
SW is? How big a percentage of your users do not upgrade?

Anyway, this was my first beta, as it may have showed in
my reporting. I hoped that the release policy was that you
would not ship before most errors were solved. Not so, you
had a deadline. Well, it is good to know this, that these are
the rules of the game. I would like to suggest that Mandrakesoft
try to make an effort to make a stability release, where
the release is not so much deadline driven, but driven by
the non-severity of the bugs.

A little more concrete: Mandrake has an enterprise edition.
There is not so much hype about this. And enterprises really
appreciate stability, and lack of errors. Maybe Mandrakesoft
could try to fix all the errors in 8.2 and then issue this as
the Enterprise edition, with the added bells and whistles that
you normally do for that? And without the big specific deadline, or
with a deadline that would allow a lot of testing and bug solving.

Kind regards
keld