(Posted from my corporate Windows machine because mail from my
Mandrake / Evolution personal account is silently rejected by
the cooker list... Why?  ARRRGH.)

I also submitted some serious bug reports before RC1.  As they
never showed up on the mailing list I eventually sent them
directly to Pixel and Warley.  Of the 4 bugs I found (two
serious) I only got a response regarding one of the minor
cosmetic bugs in the installer.   I appreciate the work that
Mandrake does - I've paid my $60 to join the club - but this is
not acceptable.

If the reason was the hurry to get 8.2 out, well, the solution
would be to NOT RUSH THE RELEASE.

For the record, here are the two serious bugs again.  My original
bug reports were MUCH more detailed, but what's the
point now...

1. The Beta 4 kernel hangs at "Detecting Partitions" when it
reaches my 120 GB Maxtor drive, which has a single 120GB
ReiserFS primary partition.  This prevents installation.  I can
work around this by unplugging that drive during installation,
compiling and installing my own kernel from kernel.org, and then
reconnecting the drive, rebooting, and editing /etc/fstab... I
can do all that in my sleep, but Joe Average User sure couldn't.

2.  On a machine with two sound cards, a Sound Blaster Live! and
an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, the (Beta 4) Mandrake installer
correctly identifies both cards and "sort of" sets up sound.
Unfortunately, NEITHER sound card works in the resulting
configuration.  Nothing works - no mixers, no sound playback, no
ALSA apps, nada.

Again, fixed by upgrading to a custom-compiled 2.4.18 + ALSA 0.9 -
now both sound cards work.  Again - I can do this but average user
sure can't.

These are serious bugs and I got NO response about them.

I hope these bugs were fixed for release. I downloaded and burned
RC1 just to test but ran out of time, as 8.2 was released so
quickly.  What's the rush?  It just doesn't make sense to have a
release candidate out for less than two weeks!  Volunteer testers
like me, working on our own time need several days to download and
burn the ISOs and run our tests, it is very discouraging to be
part way through this and then find out there is no point, 8.2 is
being released anyway.  Bah.

I was hoping that 8.2 would be the first Linux distribution that I
could just install and run on all my machines, but it looks like
once again, I will have to start from 8.2 and then update the
kernel, ALSA, and who knows how many other things before it will
be usable.  Sigh.

What was the rush for 8.2 release???  I still haven't seen a good
explanation of that.

Disappointed...

Torrey Hoffman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]