I am on cooker now so I have to paste your answer:

> 1) in Mathed: When I press the consequitive keys for 'energy equals
> mass times velocity for light raised to the power of two' I get
> E=mc, that is to say the blue square for the superscript never
> appears.

there's two way to do this:

- the old/stupid zindoz way, ie relying on special caracter tables,
  and typing e=mc²

- the latex one == the mathed one, using the superciting mode.
  this is *THE* way to do.
  in lyx, this only imply to presse "^" between "c" and "2"

if you want high quality rendering that works in all the situation,
use the latex way.

I am sorry that I am unable to explain the problem. The very keys I was using
are those that you printed. The 'roof' or circumflex character is the one
that I am unable to get from my keyboard since a couple of days. Instead I
get the superscript like in c³ or c¹.

I have been using Lyx since 0.1 - and I am wondering if Mdk have changed
anything?

regards
guran

--
Mandrake Linux 8.2 Cooker kernel-2.4.18.6mdk-1-1mdk version:2002-03-19-18:39