χ πΤΞ, 22.03.2002, Χ 04:31, Todd Lyons ΞΑΠΙΣΑΜ:
> Upgrading dev and MAKEDEV results in an error because devfs is active.

The check is not needed for MAKEDEV. Long ago MAKEDEV binary lives in
/sbin and only symlink is made from /dev/MAKEDEV for compatibility.

> Of course dropping to runlevel 1 won't work either without a bit of
> massaging/cursing.  The obvious answer is to reboot without devfs, do
> the urpmi, then reboot.  Is there a more graceful method?

Yes. You can

mount --bind /dev /lib/dev-mirror

and then /dev contents ill be available as /lib/dev-mirror even if /dev
has been mounted over. Then dev rpm could check and relocate /dev
contents.

devfs readme even suggest to use /dev directly for keeping changes while
running with devfs; in our case it would be

mount --bind /dev /lib/dev-state

and then any change made will be available even if you boot without
devfs.

That needs some change in our initrd/initscripts, specifically it does
not work if devfs is mounted by kernel. One implementation has been
suggested by IBM and posted here a while ago.

Robust implemenation should also work in case user does boot with
devfs=mount :-)

> I considered starting devfs manually after the first reboot, but it
> seems safer to let the init scripts do their thing instead of starting
> it manually.

I am not sure what you mean. devfs is not started but mounted and
mounting it manually is exactly the only possible way.

-andrej