On Wednesday 27 March 2002 11:21, Alan wrote:

> Occasionally a process eats up everything in KDE.  I have yet to find out
> what because I cannot open a shell or do anything useful.  If I try and log
> out of KDE, it sometimes just dies.  Trying to SSH to the machine just
> hangs as well.  (The daemon responds, but no shell appears.)  It is not
> consistant. I expect it is some sort of cron or at command that is being
> run.  Nothing is hitting the disk drive when this occurs.  It is a P-III
> 650 with 256 megs, so it is not too underpowered.

This is even nastier than that...

I had top running in the background when this happened.  The cpu was at 96+%
idle.

No additional shell could launch. No command could be run.  Killing the X
server went back to a login prompt instead of restarting xdm.  Logging in
would accept the user name and password and then hang.  Rebooting hangs at
"INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal."

Has anyone else seen this?  It only happens after the system has been left
running for a day or so.

There is nothing in /var/log/messages that indicate anything fatal going on.

Any ideas?