In my efforts to track down a hardware problem that is causing system lockups I was
changing out components with those from a well running system.
One such component was the vid card.
I removed the GeForce3 from this system and replaced it with a Radeon and ran XFdrake
and the proper change were made to /etc/XF86Config-4.
When I found that the lockups still occurred I re-installed the GeForce3
to this system again ran XFdrake.
Problem!
NO CHANGES were made to /etc/XF86Config-4, it was still set up for the Radeon.
I changed the driver option to nv but let all other settings the same.

To verify I reran XFdrake Show settings.
' XFree 4.2.0

Keyboard layout: us
Mouse type: IMPS/2
Monitor: Hitachi CM751
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce3 (generic)
Graphic memory: 65536 kB
XFree86 server: SVGA
XFree86 driver: nv'

Having changed only the driver to nv and # out glx here is my current module and
graphics device section from /etc/XF86Config-4

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.
    Load        "dbe"

# This loads the Video for Linux module.
    Load        "v4l"

  #  Load       "glx"
    Load        "dri"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.

    SubSection  "extmod"
        #Option "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules

    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode        0666
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic VGA"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver      "nv"
#    VideoRam    65536
    # Clock lines

    # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
    #    Option      "sw_cursor"

    Option      "AGPMode"  "1"
    Option      "DPMS"  "on"
EndSection

I am running cooker current from Fri.

    Charles

PS Yes, I know my system time is wrong, will fix.