Finally got sound working with Mandrake 8.2/Cooker...  (it worked and was
detected just fine by 8.1)

I have one of the later VIA based mobo's (the docs are sparse, but it's a MSI
based on the Via KT266 chipset.)  The sound "card" is actually built-in to
the mobo.

Initial detection decided it should use the via82cxxx_audio driver.  That
never worked, even after updating to 2.4.18-9.  However, I removed that alias
from modules.conf and replaced it with the following two lines.

above snd-card-via8233 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-via8233

(That came from my 8.1 installation.)  Now the sound works great!

BTW, sndconfig says:
A PCI sound card was found in your system. The details are:
                   Model: VIA Technologies|VT8233
                   [AC97 Audio Controller]

The next screen says:
The VIA Technologies|VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller] is not supported.

(Not that I'd expect you to support or fix that, since it's clearly marked
"RedHat".  I only mention it on the off chance it helps.  Of course harddrake
wouldn't touch it either...)

-J

=========================
Knowledge equals power...
(...)
Power equals energy...
People were stupid, sometimes. They thought the Library was a dangerous place
because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it
really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple
fact that it was a library.
Energy equals matter...
(...)
Matter equals mass.
And mass distorts space. It distorts it into polyfractal L-Space.
(Guards! Guards!)