"Brian J. Murrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say I have a machine that has Mandrake Cooker on it.  Let's also
> say that I wanted to use the installer (drakx) to create a brand new
> installation (i.e. root filesytem and whatnot) on some empty
> partitions (LVM LVs actually) I have on the running system.  Can I do
> it?  In other words can I install into some empty diskspace on a
> running machine without having to reboot and do the installation that
> way?
>
> I seem to recall when I was building custom installations for the last
> company I was working for with RedHat 7.0, Anaconda (the installer)
> had a mode where you could just start it on a running system and it
> would go through the steps and install into a directory passed to the
> installer.  I suppose this was used more by the Anaconda developers
> for testing but it was nice for staging installs.
>
> Any way of doing something similar with DrakX?

not really. It should not be *really* hard for a DrakX expert, but it's not
available. So, do not even try :)

you can have a look at the "oem" script (and the things that go with it) from
the rescue. Its purpose is partly this.

but anyway, what you want is mainly "rpm --initdb /the_dir ; rpm --root
/the_dir -Uvh ...", DrakX is just doing some more configuration that you can
do on your own (?)