I don't understand something.

I have read many messages on this cooker list saying that KDE3.0 is not a
stable and production release.

Isn't the KDE3.0 on ftp.kde.org the final release of KDE3.0?  It's not a
beta is it?

Maybe I do not understand this correctly.  Isn't KDE3.0 supposed to be more
stable than KDE2 since it is built on top of it and is an improvement over
KDE2?

And since KDE3.0 is the final release why would you want to run both kde2
and 3 side by side.  To me I just want to upgrade.

The installation of the rpm’s places everything in /opt and leaves kde2.
That is not an upgrade.