On Saturday 20 April 2002 22:19, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> I was hoping it would be as simple as installing openldap-server,
> editing the configuration file (/etc/openldap/slapd.conf) and starting
> the ldap service.

I did it few weeks ago, but I wanted to use kerberos authentication (via
gssapi), and that was more complex, but it succeeded.

I basically followed the guidelines in
http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html, but if you don't want or need
kerberos, just skip those parts.  It is quite lengthy, because it starts from
compiling each package.

BTW, you need to recompile some packages if you want the gssapi/kerberos to
work.

- cyrus-sasl is compiled without gssapi.  I just enabled it and added a
package, and it worked out of the box.

- openldap is compiled without kerberos/kpasswd support.  I just enabled it,
and everything was fine.

If anyone is interested, I can send the diffs to spec files.

It would also be nice if those two things were fixed in standard mdk packages.

I hope this helps.

Teemu