On Wednesday 24 April 2002 06:12 am, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:02:25 +0200, Geoffrey Lee wrote:
> > /* snip */
> >
> >> UNIX?
> >>
> >> Anyway, why don't you ask Geoffrey Lee why he removed the xmatrix hack.
> >> From rpm -q --changelog xscreensaver:
> >>
> >> * Don Feb 15 2001 Geoffrey Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3.28-3mdk
> >>
> >> - Remove the xmatrix screensaver as there are copyright problems.
> >
> > Oh my gosh. I was the one who removed it?
> >
> > That was about a year ago, I'm aware that it was removed but I didn't
> > know that it was me ... :-)
> >
> > If you are asking my brain for details now, it's pretty sketchy. I think
> > I got an alert from someone that we might have potential problems with
> > the xmatrix screensaver, and convinced me to remove it.
>
> Guys, wake up..
>
> Is it really hard to understand that xmatrix is really a non-licensed use
> of "The Matrix" artwork ?

What artwork?  I did not understand you can copyright the look of a screen.

If that is the case, then you better remove "lament" because it is taken
directly from the Hellraiser movies and "starwars" because it is taken from
the opening credits of the Star Wars films.

> If Jamie or other distributions don't care, fine.. But we DO care, we
> don't want to get sued.. That is why xmatrix was removed and there is no
> plan to put it back (except if you get a royalted free license for
> commercial distribution of xmatrix from "The Matrix" artwork authors..)

There is no "artwork" involved. it is a character set.

I think you guys are overracting.