Hello Cooker!

I'm playing with compiling in ACPI support into the Mandrake kernel, and I
patched the 2.4.18-13mdk kernel source with the acpi-20020404 from the
ACPI project at sourceforg, and another small patch for improved support
on my laptop (hp zt-1170) For the most part, the acpi patch went in fine,
but I had to hand-merge a few chunks.  I was able to compile bzImage just
fine, but when I tried to make modules, I got about a zillion pages of
errors, mostly relating to cdrom and floppy modules.  I switch floppy
support to a built in (even though I don't have a floppy disk) and was
still unable to compile the modules.  I had trouble believing that I could
compile in floppy support, but not compile it as a moodule, so I tried
compiling from un-molested 2.4.18-13mdk source, using the .config file
from my patched source, and that failed to build the modules as well:

acpi_serial.c: In function `setup_serial_acpi':
acpi_serial.c:139: `ACPI_SERIAL_CONSOLE_PORT' undeclared (first use in
this function)
acpi_serial.c:139: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
acpi_serial.c:139: for each function it appears in.)
acpi_serial.c:143: `ACPI_SERIAL_DEBUG_PORT' undeclared (first use in this
function)
make[3]: *** [acpi_serial.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-13mdk/drivers/char'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-13mdk/drivers/char'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_char] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-13mdk/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2
[root@localhost linux-2.4.18-13mdk]#

So, I am curious if there are problems known about compiling some things
as modules rather than built-in?  I can supply a list of items I selected
for modular compilation, if there is interest.

-Chuck.

 |  Sitting in his UNIX LAN  |          Charles A. Shirley          |
 | Making all his UNIX plans |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |