It would appear that xsane is trying to scan for a scanning device even
after i specify one (xsane umax:/dev/usb/scanner0).  I also tried to
create a common ln -s /dev/usb/scanner0 /dev/usbscanner which apppears
to help but xsane then complains:

gdb reports:

0x407454c0 in sane_sm3600_init ()
   from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3600.so.1

sane has no problem finding the umax device connected via usb port and
scannerdrake appears to find & configure it also.

I can also use xscan to perform scans, but it's not as good as xsane.

This has been a continous bug for the past ~6 mos or more.
I'm now on gcc-31

Although I should probabely send this to the xsane mailling list, maybe
the xsane packager is on this list.

oh, btw, sane-1.0.8 is out! (yes, i packaged this as well last night,
but my email was down.)

--
Roger
-----