Le Lundi 3 Juin 2002 10:12, Borsenkow Andrej a écrit :

> > > Of course that should read "Disable DMA"
> >
> > Thanks for the answer, but there is no DMA enabled in my harddisks
>
> file, as
>
> > you can see :
> >
> > # USE_DMA=1
>
> It is most probably enabled by default by kernel. He tried to tell you
> to disable it using these files.
>
> -andrej

You were right ;-))

Now, everything works with the bundled 8.2 kernel.

To remind everyone, now that everything is right :

My config :
AMD Athlon XP on a MSI K7T-Pro 2 with 256 Mo DDR-SDRam, 30 Go Maxtor,
CD-Writer LG 24/10/40.

If you use the bundled kernel, you need to turn off DMA by changing in
/etc/sysconfig/harddisks : USE_DMA=1 to Use_DMA=0 (and uncomment the line of
course).

The same problem appeared with cooker kernels.
I am not sure wether it is related to the kernel, or to the hardware itself,
but it may but a test case for post-install steps to check this parameter.
Otherwise, the system cannot access to the cdrom drive, and hangs everything.

Thanks a lot for help everyone, i'm not sure this problem will persist for a
long time, but it may be useful to take it into account as my configuration
seems to be quite popular.

Stef