On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 11:05:51PM +1000, Geoffrey Lee wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 07:26:42AM -0400, Charles A Edwards wrote:
> > Since mplayer is mow GPL is there any chance of moving it from PLF into
> > cooker.
>
> We talked about this before, I remember once (grousse?) replied that
> to get a nice and usable mplayer you would have to enable many questionable
> things ... So I took his word for it ..

look at
http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
or
http://mirrors.sctpc.com/dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/ for the mirror

so rpm packages can be created...

i've been using mplayer for half a year without problems,
maybe it's not so much user-friendly as xine ( we're talking about a
console-application ), but offers a lot of features...
and of course there is mencoder, a movie-encoder.. i don't know about
any movie encoders in cooker..

yes, there are some things that can't be built as binary-rpms ( like
direct support for matrox graphics cards ... it is a kernel module, so
it has to be compiled on the machine... or maybe cooker could provide a
version compiled for the current cooker kernel..)

... but for the 99% of users
the 'standard' video + audio output modes are more than enough..

about the GPL issues... the only problematic part is the win32 codecs...
they are 'theoretically' free... you can download them for free from
microsoft, but i don't know if they are allowed to be redistributed...

but don't forget that mplayer can play nearly everything even without
the win32 codecs ( they are mostly used for .asf and .wmv files )

thanks,
gabor