Andrej or anybody else familiar with devfs.  It's doing something that
while it is very good and very convenient, it's not working the way that
I remember previously.

I made a new Lucent Tech winmodem rpm (up from 6.00b15 to 8.22a4).  It
compiled with zero changes other than the version number.  It installed
on a fresh 8.2 install (won't work for cooker since it's tied directly
to the kernel version number, but that's not my question).

1) install rpm.  The postinstall script adds a line to modules.conf,
HUPs devfsd, then depmod -a.
2) lsmod.  The modules (ltmodem and ltserial) are not loaded.
3) vdir /dev/modem.  It shows modem -> tts/LT0
4) lsmod.  The modules are now loaded.

I don't remember devfs creating devices when I attempted to do a
directory of them?  Trying to open, yes.  But just a directory?
Obviously this was present in devfs at the time of 8.2, but I don't
remember it acting that way.  I DO remember wondering if would create
the device just from a directory command back when 8.2 got released, but
as I recall, I actually had to attempt to open the device to make it
create the device file.

In the same breath:  could this just be the sign of a better written
devfs implementation in this driver?

Blue skies...           Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because