Martin Ma?ok wrote on Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 09:48:26PM +0200 :
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 06:38:13PM +0200, Oden Eriksson wrote:
> > I'm curious..., (I don't use supermount myself), isn't it enough to
> > umount the devices?
> No, supermount mounts/umounts partitions automagically when the
> dir/files are accessed. Explicit mount/umount commands shouldn't be
> ever used on supermount partitions.

Ummmm.  Ok.  But, ummmmm...

[root@fiji ~]# lsmod | grep supermount
supermount             58884   2  (autoclean)
[root@fiji ~]# umount /mnt/cdrom
[root@fiji ~]# umount /mnt/floppy
[root@fiji ~]# lsmod | grep supermount
supermount             58884   0  (autoclean)
[root@fiji ~]# mount /mnt/floppy
[root@fiji ~]# lsmod | grep supermount
supermount             58884   1  (autoclean)
[root@fiji ~]# mount /mnt/cdrom
[root@fiji ~]# lsmod | grep supermount
supermount             58884   2  (autoclean)

You can see that unmounting supermounted devices works with no problems
Of course, I'm not using ide-scsi, that may complicate things.
Unmounting decreases the usage count, mount increases the usage count.
This is the way that supermount works, the way I understand it.  Saying
that it "shouldn't be ever used" on supermounted partitions seems a bit
harsh.  Can you offer an explanation of why this is so?  Or is it
closely linked to non-compliant ide hardware?

Blue skies...           Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because