I need LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 for IBM JDK 1.3.0 :

combo:~> /opt/ibm-jdk-1.3.0/bin/java
expr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/expr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/expr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
Error: can't find libjava.so

and when you look at the script :
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The line "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5" disables the use of floating
# stacks on RedHat distributions.  Floating stacks can be enabled by
# commenting it out.  Do not do this unless all of the following are true:
#
# 1) you are running linux/s390
# 2) your kernel version is 2.4 or higher
# 3) you have glibc version 2.2.1 or higher
#
# The commands
#       uname -m
#       uname -r
#       rpm -qv glibc
# will return the relevant results.  We recommend that you enable
# floating stacks if your system is suitable.
#
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

Thierry Saura.