Using the latest versions of DrakX I don't get the Swedish translations,
although I selected it at the start.

I don't know if it helps, but here's a snippet from the output:

starting step `selectLanguage´
warning: rm of /usr/share/locale failed: No such file or directory
getFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/share/locale/UTF-8/LC_COLLATE:
getFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/share/locale/UTF-8/LC_CTYPE:
FTP: 550 file unavailable
errorOpeningFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/share/locale/UTF-8/LC_CTYPE
warning: rm of /usr/share/locale_special failed: No such file or directory
getFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/share/locale_special/sv/LC_MESSAGES/libDrakX.mo:
selectLanguage: pack_langs sv

Regards,
Mattias