I hade exactly same problem. I tried it couple of time. For me the
installation also worked after selecting CDROM as an alternative install
method from the list.

Mika

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           nDiScReEt           |
|         |           <ndiscreet@speakeasy|
|         |           .net>               |
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           cooker-owner@linux-m|
|         |           andrake.com         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           24.07.2002 01:53    |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           cooker              |
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 12:56 pm, Mike Diack wrote:
> Hi all
> I've downloaded Mandrake 9 beta 1 and burnt the ISOs.
>
> A minor glitch however occured during installation (was booting
> from a Samsung SD 608 DVD drive, having burnt the CD's on a Sony CRX140E
> CD burner.
>
> All went well up to a point.... (CD1 in drive)
> 1) The press F1 (for additional options) or Enter to install/upgrade
prompt
> appeared.
> 2) I pressed Enter (wanting to do a fresh install instead of 8.2).
> 3) The system then said my CD was not an Installation Disc!
> 4) It gave me the set of options for alternative install methods
> (from harddrive, ftp, CDROM etc).
> 5) I selected CDROM and all then seems fine.
>
> Stage 3 & 4 are wrong - they shouldn't have occured. I don't know
> why they did and presume it's a bug in the new boot process in 9.
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> Mike Diack

Are you using cdrw discs? I had problems with mandrake installed on cdrw
discs
no matter if I use the cdrewriter drive or not use.
Altoine B
Maximum Time Unlimited
Chicago Based and Operated
"No problem is so formidable that you can't walk away from it."
 -- C. Schulz
2.4.18-21mdk
Mandrake Linux release 9.0 (Cooker) for i586