I've always had a problem to find a driver for my Winmodem, a Motorola
sm56 that also works very well. I've the one given from the site of the
modem. I've worked with all the kernels since 2.4.18, but i can't work
with the one of Mandrake.

I've managed the driver to work with all the kernels above uncommenting
the a line in mm/slab.c in the kernel tree:
(i've found this on newsgroups)

if (flags & ~(SLAB_DMA|SLAB_LEVEL_MASK|SLAB_NO_GROW))
                 BUG();

But doing that is not useful for me also i want to try the kernel
shipped from Mandrake and i cant' change my sm56.
Also managed to work with gcc 3.1 and kernel 2.5 with some problems with
ppp modules, but i remember it worked.

I hope you can give me an answer or to be useful to owners.

Andrea Tavazzani