I took the ISO of CD 1 of the Mandrake 9.0 Beta 1 series and pressed
a copy.  Booting from the CD, I get the splash screen.  I pressed
return to start the install.  The dark blue graphics indicator bar
fills (and goes beyond the graphics).  Then the screen goes black and
text from the kernel booting can be seen.

Then I get

"You are starting the installation with an alternative booting
method.  Please change your disk and insert the installation disk"

I select <OK> having done nothing.

Next I get "Please choose the installation method."  I use the
keyboard and select CDROM drive.

A quick message flashes by "Waiting for USB to show up."

Finally, I'm left at the menu that states :

"Please choose the CDROM drive to use for the installation".

There are two drives listed

hdc (Compaq DVD-ROM SD612-B)
hdd (CDD4801 CD-R/RW)

At this point however, my USB keyboard is unresponsive.  The arrow
keys don't move the highlighted option.  The Alt keys can't take me
to the log file.  The Caplock/Numlock keys do not turn on lights on
the keybard.

If someone has advice for me to try, please let me know.  I am
currently working on a Compaq Presario model 5012US.  This machine
has run Linux Mandrake 7.0, 8.0 and 8.2 without difficulty.

If additional information would be useful, ask and I will happily
provide it.

Awaiting Beta 2.

Thanks.

Jason