I believe that the reason for this is that I have not
installed sound drivers for Aureal sound-card from the
aureal.sourcefodge.net. (Mandrake installer asked me to do so in the beginning of the install)

The error occured during the logon is however following:

       "Could not open mixer-device /dev/sound/mixer"

           --------
           |Close |
           --------

and after that there is another message box.

       Questions

       The Volume Control applet appears to have died unexpectedtly

       Reload this applet?

           |No   |     |yes  |

Is there change that Mandrake Linux could deliver and install these Aureal drivers during the install project?

Mika