Well, I managed to get a "fix" of broadband today for a few hours, and
did an ftp expert update.  Some interesting observations.

1)  After the installation completes, the fancy graphics on boot were gone.
Video DID go into the correct mode (vga=791) correctly.  Graphic boot not the
default?

2)  The Trident problem iis back.  The patched driver is still necessary for
the Trident 9397DVD chip in Gateway (and other) laptops.  Oooh!  The cosmic
pretty colors.  I'd be happy to e-mail the driver, the e-mail address of the
develper  or both to whoever (Pixel? ) who keeps track of such things.  The
stock Trident driver will NOT work in XFree86 4.2.0.

2.5)  Extension GLX should be enabled.  Don't think that the chip does
anything with it, but when it's off KDE complains it's not there, and it runs
faster with it enabled.

3)  Detected my usb hard drive correctly during device set up!  Very nice.

More observations after I dig out my notes when I get home - am on the train
from NY City back upstate to the mountains.  (Mandrake developers welcome,
by the way...  :-)

Vinny